CELEBRATE YOUR HEALTH AND HELP YOUR WALLET WITH
Recent Fresh Bites include delicious and nutritious chicken and cheese quesadillas loaded with fresh vegetables, and tasty chicken tacos that you and your wallet will love. At FAME”s So Fresh Produce Market you will learn ways to incorporate more fruits and vegetables in your diet, new cooking techniques and recipes, and receive free information on health education for you and your family.
“The FAME Church is a long- time advocate of improving health for members of the South Los Angeles Community and promotes the importance of a healthy mind, body and spirit for all of God’s children,” said First Lady Denise Hunter. “We know our congregants and our community want the best for their families, but in an area without convenient grocery stores and transportation, it’s not always easy to bring the best food and nutrition into our homes. The FAME So Fresh Produce Market makes high quality and affordable food accessible to our community.”
“One of the primary goals of the church is to help all of God’s children to live better,” said Reverend John J. Hunter. “African-Americans suffer some of the highest rates of obesity as well as diet-related preventable diseases. As a church we feel a responsibility to bring this message to the community. Come and join us in celebrating our health and many blessings.”
1. Be Water Wise. Drink two glasses of water instead of soda at one meal a day to avoid empty calories. Keep a pitcher of water in your fridge flavored with sliced cucumber, lemon, mint, watermelon or other fruit or herb. It’s healthy, refreshing and cheap!
2. Try Turkey. Substitute ground turkey for ground beef, or combine a package of each for a lower fat, healthier option.
3. Go Green. Add a cup of chopped fresh spinach, kale or greens to any pasta, casserole, stew, soup or side dish. It's a great way to increase the amount of green leafy vegetables in your diet.
4. Cut the Salt. Reduce the salt by half in your recipes, but don’t lose flavor by using herbs, spices and/or lemon juice. Be creative!
5. Reduce Your Oil Dependence. Invest in non-stick pan and use low fat cooking spray instead of cooking oil. Pick oils that are low in saturated fat – the best are olive or canola oil – for cooking and salad dressings.
Download the Flyer